Frequently Asked Questions
What is Personal Information?
Personal information (PI) = recorded information about an identifiable individual, and includes
- Ethnic origin, race, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, etc.
- Information regarding educational, financial, employment, medical, psychiatric, psychological or criminal history
- Identifying numbers, e.g., S.I.N
- Home address, home telephone number
- Personal opinions of, or about, an individual (Ex. Letters of reference)
- Correspondence sent to the institution by an individual that is of a private or confidential nature
- The individual’s name where it appears with or reveals other personal information